Friday, December 11, 2009

The real blogging always begins on post two (the second flight)

The Kenya airlines flight from Paris to Nairobi is not recommended in any tourist books which I perused. The flight, on an aging, yet capable Boeing 767, provided one of the most spectacular flights of scenery. Just after liftoff we passed the white chasm of the Swiss Alps, whose jagged peaks danced to the horizon. We continued on through the verdant green of the Nile delta, which seemed to absorb the light shed from above and the expansive tan of the wind swept Sahara dotted with white clouds which cast dark grey shadows below. We followed the Nile down as it shimmered through a dark greenish brown in expanse until we were enveloped by a white and eventually dark gray haze where the only thing that seemed to exist was our plane hurtling through space. I have taken many long flights, but none with the diversity of landscape this trip provided.

Sadly, though, I was tired to continue appreciating the unique beauty of the flight. And with the extra comfort that the exit row provides a 6’3” individual, I stretched out and found my eyes too difficult to keep open. So I asked the flight attendant for a chocolate chip cookie, well two actually. I was hungry and figured it would keep me awake. I noticed an hour later the trick didn’t work so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment